Free Tax Clinics

Why do I need to file my tax return?

  • every year there are over $1 billion of income benefits and tax credits that remain unclaimed
  • these benefits were legislated by parliament for the needs of the most vulnerable people in Canada
  • many of these services and entitlements can only be accessed by filing tax to either start the benefits directly or prove that you continue to qualify
  • for low-income households tax time is often missed opportunity to improve their finances
  • if you don't file your tax return, the government has no way of knowing if you are eligible for a tax credit or not

Do your taxes on time every year to continue receiving the benefit and credit payments that you are entitled to, even if you have no income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to do their taxes every year.

Who can help me with my tax return?

There is a cross-country network of 15,000 volunteer tax preparation specialists trained and organized by Canada Revenue Agency’s Canadian Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP).

  • tax filing can be a daunting task, 42% of Canadians rely on outside help to prepare their tax returns
  • last year in Niagara region alone, tax volunteers filed 776 tax returns which resulted in $1,941,914 returned to the community
  • there are many free tax clinics in Mississauga area, follow the link at the bottom of the page for a complete list

Am I eligible for help at a free tax clinic?

The following table is only a general guideline, confirm these amounts with your local community organization as their amounts may be different.

 Family size   Total Family Income 
1 person $35,000
2 persons $45,000
3 persons $47,500
4 persons $50,000
5 persons $52,500

Simple tax situation

In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from any of these sources:

  • employment
  • pension
  • benefits such as CPP, disability insurance, employment insurance and social assistance
  • registered retirement savings plans RRSPs
  • support payments
  • scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
  • interest (under $1,000)

Your tax situation is NOT simple if you:

  • are self-employed or have employment expenses
  • have business or rental income and expenses
  • have capital gains or losses
  • filed for bankruptcy in the year (or the year before, if that return has not been filed)
  • are completing a tax return for a deceased person

More Information

Find a tax preparation clinic in your area. Most of them are offered in March and April; some are available at any time during the year.

 Free Tax Clinics